Mother Earths most delicious foods.

Living. Loving. Laughing. the natural way.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New beginnings

I love new years day, the first day of all the goals and challenges you have set yourself for the year. This new year day felt extra renewing and refreshing, as a family we are looking forward to so much this year, lots of milestones to come!

On to day ONE of the challenge... I thought I'd start this one with a yummy dinner which my whole family enjoyed.  Just a note over the next few days/weeks I'll be using up any stock in the cupboard so nothing goes to waste. At the moment when in comes to preparing food, there is only one sentence that keeps running through my mind, I remember my year 7 science teacher writing it on the blackboard, "KISS" keep it simple stupid. I like the idea of simple meals and letting the food speak for itself, I find it confusing when eating a dish with to many ingredients, I'd much rather prefer a dish of fewer ingredients and really taste the flavour of each ingredient. I went to the farmers markets yesterday and over filled my basket with no particular meals in mind, (another favourite thing I love to do) when I came home I knew I wanted to eat my fresh kale with my yummy mushrooms and thus created this meal for tonights dinner!

Kale, Mushroom & Quinoa Dish.

Ingredients:

1 cup of quinoa (soaked and rinsed well)
1 teaspoon of vegetable stock
1 bunch of kale (stalked removed and sliced)
1 bag of swiss brown mushrooms
1 or 2 cloves of garlic (finely sliced)
1 small onion (finely sliced)
2 teaspoons of dried or fresh time
2 tablespoons of coconut oil


Place well rinsed quinoa and vegetable stock in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat.

Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil, garlic and onion in a skillet over medium heat until onion has softened. Add kale and cook until tender. Add mushrooms and thyme and extra oil to coat mushrooms if needed. Cook until mushrooms start to release their juices. Add quinoa and stir through mixture! Bon appetite!





Autumn's sticky fingers which means baby approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment